Thursday, May 1, 2008

PI restaurant compromised



After looking at this photo, take a look at the photo accompanying this story in the Daily News, about Jeanne's (which I believe is the actual spelling of the name of the restaurant; it's just pronounced "Jeannie's"). I took the photo to the left about 2 months ago.
That's how far the erosion has progressed.
The Town of Newbury has ordered that the deck on the restaurant be removed.


I was walking on that section of the beach just north of Jeanne's one day, I think about 2 years ago now, when a man appeared at the edge of the dune, above the beach.
The dune started crumbling under his weight, lower down, but he didn't notice because he was looking out at the ocean. It did not crumble away enough for him to fall, but I glanced at another woman walking by, she glanced at me, and then we both looked back at him. He was oblivious. We both shrugged and went on our separate ways

I don't believe that part of the dune is there anymore. Not blaming him for the whole problem of the disappearing dune, of course, but I think actions like that contributed.

P.S. Also read the comment below the DN story, from a reader.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillian,

What's clear from your photo is the bay that is forming north of the center island groin - 4 years ago the beach was more or less straight in that area - just as it is south of the groin.

As for the DN reader, while I don't disagree that regulations should be enforced, a deck or two are not responsible for 70 ft of dune loss. I suggest your readers pop into Mr Moe's to view photos of similar erosion in that area circa 1970.

Gillian Swart said...

Thank you, anonymous poster. Oddly enough, someone just a couple of hours ago suggested I pop into Mr. Moe's for that same purpose! (Mr. Moe's is a liquor store out here; its owner whose name I can't recall even though I just heard it is a photographer. Makes beautiful photos, cards, etc.)