Friday, May 9, 2008

Offensive comment removed

The folks at the Daily News, I'm sure after reading my post (well, I like to think so, anyway) have removed the offensive comment by a reader from yesterday's story about the man who ran down Trista Zinck and Neil Bornstein while drunk.

I find all the (remaining) comments interesting, if not slightly disturbing.

Some people who know and/or love this man want people to sympathize with him. Perhaps they should have intervened before he got behind wheel of that Blazer on that fateful day. I mean long before; this man obviously had a long-standing problem with controlling his alcohol consumption.

I know it is difficult to overcome any addiction. But I believe one big motivator for me would be, "Oh my God! I killed someone!"

Well, you could say, perhaps the fact that he did kill someone made him want to drink, to drown his sorrows. But I know that if I set fire to this house by careless use of cigarettes and killed even my cat, much less a person, I would never smoke again.

I know the guy has problems - it's obvious the guy has problems - but I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for him. I don't think this is a case of "he made a mistake that had very unfortunate consequences."

This was a pattern of behavior of which he was well aware and that his friends and family had to have known about - and apparently did nothing to help him.

Plus there's always the little fact that he broke the law, people - at least twice.

So although they have every right to defend him now, I just ain't buying it.

Put him in the slammer, get him some counseling, do whatever it takes. Do what should have been done in 2003, if not before. Save him, and others, from himself.

No comments: