Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My trip into town

(click on image to enlarge)

Just went into town to do some laundry. This is my strategy for laundry in the spring: I stockpile it until the weather is good enough that I can hang it on the line to dry.

So I had, as of Sunday morning, 4-5 loads of laundry to do. Keep in mind they have to be small because I only have one strand of clothes line (just in cash you were thinking my house was full of dirty laundry). I've done one every day so the pile is really diminished.

There is a washing machine in the shed in the yard, but since it was never, and still is not, hooked into any kind of waste disposal system, I can't use it.

While my clothes were in the washer at the Village Washtub, I sauntered over to the bank, had a brief exchange with Ann Lagasse about the new pool at the YWCA and how beautiful it is, and then I went to the post office.

Now, this involved me entering what I think of as "the danger zone." This would be anywhere that I can see Grand Trunk. Because if I see the place, I'm in it. And if I'm in it, I'm spending money.

Today I purchased a sandwich I tried for the first time on Sunday: brie, fresh fig and walnuts. I won't dwell on how good it is. I also bought a bottle of wine to replace the one I bought on Sunday and which Triple-D and I drank down later in the day. Good golly Miss Molly; good thing the reason I went to the bank was to deposit checks!

I resisted the temptation to go into Greta's - had my hand on the door and everything - then, passing Ann Lagasse again, I walked down State St. and took the picture. The shirt is hanging outside the British import shop (a place you'd think I frequent but don't for some reason).

By now I was regretting my decision to not go into Greta's for a latte. Praline's was closed so I could not get a cinnamon bun, but a sign on the door informing customers that the buns are available on Saturday and Sunday confirmed their popularity.

Stopped at Souffle's instead. They were out of the delicious conga bars (made in Amesbury at Dough Raise Me).

Well that was my circuit. Noticed a few people enjoying early lunch or whatever at Oregano's; noticed that Starbuck's is still pretty torn up, despite the fact they are supposed to re-open on Thursday; and came back home blasting The Clash on the radio.

Is there a better tune than "Rock the Casbah?" I don't think so - there are some just as good, but none better.

2 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Speaking of t-shirts, if I'm too trust you being a reporter, you should sport one of these around.

Gillian Swart said...

Holy moly! I'm getting one of those (unless blogger's day is still upcoming). I actually got that slogan from off a mug that's available through the Newseum, but I had heard about the t-shirt. Thanks!