Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Trek to Andover

See, that's funny cuz my Jetta is a Trek ...

Alrighty, then. As I said in the last post, I went today to the Andover Country Club. I Googled said location to ascertain the best route to take.

As always, Google maps gave me about 10 steps on how to get off the island and get to I-495 (I know, it doesn't know I live here) and provided me a route that involved nearly 20 miles on I-495, aka the Massachusetts Speedway.

There were a couple of steps involving getting off at this exit and traveling .8 miles down this route I'd never heard of, much less traveled. But it all ended with this: turn right at Lowell St./RT-133.

Route 133 - a road with which I was familiar. I figured it would take me much longer to go down Rte. 1 to 133 and drive across to Andover, but I was willing to spend the extra time.

It took me almost exactly the same amount of time as if I'd gone down 495. I think it was 5 minutes longer.

Of course, it took me longer to get home because of the scenic detour I took (I missed a turn and wound up somewhere, don't know where, but turned around and went back with only minimal loss of time). I stopped at the Market Basket in Rowley and then headed for the Dunkin' Donuts on the traffic circle for my latte.

After waiting in line for 10 minutes (forgot it was free iced coffee day), I was told the latte machine was out of order. So I drove over to the Nutcracker Cafe in The Tannery, filling David Hall's coffers even more. Oh, and I also remembered to picked up the book I'd ordered at Jabberwocky, so WOW, I'm on someone's shit list (like I'm not already).

And I also watched the needle on my gas level indicator (does that have a name?) go down, down, down as I drove all over the place. Not to mention the time I was idling in the heavy traffic from the YWCA event.

I gotta start charging more for these stories!

Or cut out drinking lattes and reading books. Or remember that I had to go to The Tannery anyway, to pick up the book, so I could have totally bypassed Dunkin' Donuts in the first place.

No comments: