Thursday, May 22, 2008

What, me paranoid?

I ran out to the mailbox in between innings of the Sox game and found a package stuffed in there.

Well ... you know me, readers. Or you should by now. I had not ordered anything.

So I gingerly carried the package, which had some bizarre return address from Georgia stamped on it - and then threw it in the sink. My heart was pounding. I pictured some kook in Newbury assembling a bomb, stamping a phony return address on an envelope and sticking an address label onto it.

Standing back as far as I could, I got a sharp knife and slashed it across the mailing address. It was one of those mailing envelopes with bubble wrap. Through the bubbles, I could see that it looked like it was a book.

Note: if you want to get me, send me a bomb disguised as a book. I eagerly ripped it open.

It was, indeed, a book. Ordered for me by my mother, the packing slip informed me. "Certain Girls," by Jennifer Weiner.

Cool. I've been wanting to read this. My mom is psychic.

I love getting books. I love books. Period.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillian,

Mentally ill mathematicians (see Unabomber) send bombs in the mail, all Newbury residents (ok maybe just Byfield) have guns, so they'd be more likely to "introduce you to Smith & Wesson".

Gillian Swart said...

Wow, that's the first thing you've ever said that even remotely hints at a slam on Newbury!

Anonymous said...

Was that a slam against Newbury - AKA Mayberry-by-the-Sea ? I thought I was just alerting you to a real danger.

Gillian Swart said...

I see you have glamorized your nickname.

But ... what's the deal with "alerting you to a real danger?"

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant paranoid perceived risk.....

I prefer satirical to glamorous...

Gillian Swart said...

Oh, I thought you were trying to impress me (or Mahatma) with your elevated status of living by the sea.

Thanks for clearing up the risk thing. I thought I'd have to start wearing a bullet-proof vest.