Saturday, May 17, 2008

My $10 piece of fish

So I was meandering around the Market Basket in Rowley on Thursday. As I wandered near to the fish case, I felt my eyes being drawn in that direction.

Usually I only buy fish from Bob Lobster or David's in Salisbury but this fish called to me. It was smooth and pearly and it glowed; it was like Gary Roberts.* I could not resist walking over to the case - it was that breathtaking.

"Isn't that beautiful?" the woman behind the counter said, confirming my vision.

I was so enthralled that I simply said, "I'll take that one," indicating the very piece that had so entranced me.

Of course I had noticed that it was Chilean sea bass, which I love. What I had failed to notice until she weighed the luscious lump was that it was $14.99/pound.

"It's more expensive than steak!" I wailed.

"Yes, but it's better for you," the woman replied.

Readers, I took it. I took it home and today I grilled it up and I ate it down.

Was it worth it?

Well ... it would have cost a lot more in a restaurant. And it was damn good. So I guess it was. As a one-time expenditure.

Not going near the fish case in Market Basket any more.

* When I interviewed Gary Roberts when he was running for re-election, I had to take his photo. In several shots (taken in his father's garage, with classic cars), he glowed. Literally, the man glowed. Not sure he'd like being compared to a piece of fish, but it was exceptional fish. And I seem to have a habit of unintentionally insulting him, so why stop just because he's no longer a city councillor? He's a really nice guy, by the way.

No comments: