Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oh the humanity!

According to the CNN report, 60,000 pounds of lobster was lost in the early morning fire at James Hook & Co. in Boston.

Firefighters struggled to contain the blaze at James Hook & Co. for several hours after it broke out about 3:30 a.m. Flames burned through rooms full of corrugated cardboard boxes used for shipping seafood, fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said.

The cause of the blaze was unclear.

Damage was estimated at $5 million, including the loss of about 60,000 pounds of lobster, MacDonald said. No one was in the building, which housed both wholesale and retail businesses, when the fire began.

I used to go there for lunch, when I worked in the financial district. Another Boston landmark gone up in flames. There was, if I recall correctly, some dispute with this place at the time the Big Dig was being planned, or the new bridge there was being built, or something.

I recall correctly. From the Globe story:
"If I survived the Big Dig, I can survive anything. That was like hand-to-hand combat,'' Edward Hook told reporters. "We will set up a trailer, we will set up a tent. I don't know what we are going to do, but we will find a way. Once this mess is cleaned up, we will find a way.''

No comments: