Friday, May 16, 2008

Musings

I finally got round to reading more of the posts on my cousin Damian's blog, although he hasn't posted for a while. Probably working on that new play he talks about here. He blogs on Telegraph.co.uk.

The latter post will be interesting to writers, by the way.

But this one, about foreigners being allowed to vote in the U.S., reminded me of the little skirmish we in the Newburyport blogging world had a couple of weeks ago.

And a little of my post here about being a resident alien.

Damian - and because I know him, I know he's not serious (well, I think I know him, anyway; fairly certain he's not serious in any case) - writes about allowing foreigners to vote in U.S. elections.

The people of Afghanistan, Israel, Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea - any number of places - have much more at stake in the upcoming election than I do, a resident of Brooklyn.

The comments to the post are mixed, with many people taking umbrage, calling Damian names and telling him he's "silly."

Eventually someone gets around to saying that Americans don't have a sense of humor.

I don't agree with that, of course. I don't get some British humor (what was funny about Benny Hill?), but I do know from my own family experiences that Brits say whatever and expect that if you don't like it, you'll say so. Then go on your merry way; or more often, stay and have a pint.

I have been pretty much 'Americanized,' having lived here for most of my life. My mother, who has lived here since 1960 (and who is a naturalized citizen) finds many things her siblings (all of whom still live in England) say to her to be hurtful.

Oddly enough, I, who am very sensitive, just let the "unkind" comments and unsavory insinuations from my English relatives roll off my back.

Except ... wait ... I have to say ... after my Uncle Tony (Damian's father) told me when he was here last year and was reading something I wrote under the byline "Gillian R. Swart," that the middle initial was "pretentious" - I think that was the word he used - I dropped the "R."

But I think that was more a case of respecting his opinion, as a long-time journalist. And you know, with me being his favorite niece ... c'mon, it's a well-known fact ... and vice versa, I took it to heart perhaps a bit too much.

So who knows who might find offensive, what you write or say tongue-in-cheek. I would guess it comes down to knowing the person you're reading or speaking to and knowing that putting a comic turn on something often makes people sit up more and pay attention.

If that makes any sense at all.

No comments: