Monday, May 12, 2008

Mind your p's and q's

Well here they are folks, the top 10 mistakes made in job interviews, according to CareerBuilder.com, as posted on the CNN website.

Hiring managers don't want to hear a lot of things during an interview -- confessions of a violent past, a cell phone ring, a toilet flush. Yet job seekers have committed these interview gaffes and worse, according to CareerBuilder.com's annual survey of the worst interview mistakes.

Odd behavior isn't the only way to ruin your chances of landing a job.

When hiring managers were asked to name the most common and damaging interview mistakes a candidate can make, 51 percent listed dressing inappropriately.

Forty-nine percent cited badmouthing a former boss as the worst offense, while 48 percent said appearing disinterested.

Arrogance (44 percent), insufficient answers (30 percent) and not asking good questions (29 percent) were also top answers.

Gee, I guess I'm shit out of luck. I'm a notorious "badmouther." But I will concede that I have been at least partially responsible for every situation (2) that made me leave a job under less than ideal conditions.

I also hate that "What's your biggest weakness?" question. Actually, my biggest weakness is that I'm a notorious badmouther. That should let me off the hook, right? If I say that when asked the weakness question?

No comments: