Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oregano's

I was intrigued by City Council President James Shanley's comment at last night's meeting that, "Word on the street is that (the food's) quite good."

Not the most ringing of endorsements, so I asked a person I met with today what he thought of Oregano's, our newest (but by no means last) pizza place. He is the only person I've come across who's actually been there.

"We didn't really have a lot of food," he began.

Uh-oh.

"I was not impressed out of my mind, but it was OK ... The service was excellent!"

He went on to say it was kind of cramped but that "adds to the charm."

Most important, about the pizza: "The overall mechanics of the pizza were good - the crust, the seasonings, etc." He thought there was too much garlic on the pizza, but conceded that it was a garlic pizza, after all.

6 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Though this is useful information, I'm not surprised. I expect any restaurant to go through trials and errors, reacting to customer response, in the first few weeks of operation.

It is for this reason, based on past experience at other restaurants that were poor up front but got better over time, that I'm waiting for the kinks to be worked out until I go there.

Gillian Swart said...

I agree. I'm going to go there myself, shortly. But I'm not the best judge of Italian food (especially pizza), so I'll have to drag someone with me who is!

Anonymous said...

The pizza was quite good. I hate to say much about a place we tried on the 2nd night they were open, but I would say it's not quite as good as Flatbread in Amesbury, but there's not enough difference to make it worth getting in the car, when we can walk to Oregano's. It is certainly the best pizza in Newburyport. Tom Salemi will need a new poll. :-)

Gillian Swart said...

Yeah, I debated whether to post my friend's comments, but I noticed that a lot of people who had Googled "Oregano's Newburyport" were landing on my blog. Thought I'd throw them a bone ... so to speak.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gillian,

We had dinner at Oregano's last night and the food was good, as was the service and the joint was hopping.

James Shanley

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, James. Didn't mean to put you on the spot!