Monday, May 12, 2008

Living on Plum Island

(I started this post at 9:30 this morning. Since then, "big doings" have been going on, involving me and Gloria Steinem. And no, we're not engaged to be married.)

There's a big old story in today's Daily News about Plum Island, revenues from properties on Plum island received by both Newbury and Newburyport, and how little islanders perceive they get in return.

One thing I would add to this is that, although the (Newburyport) PI fire station was taken down, I do believe there is an inter-municipal agreement between the two communities to provide public services to the island.

As in, when there's a fire, either or both Newbury and Newburyport respond. Of course, the closest Newburyport fire station is twice as far away as is the closest in Newbury. Both police departments supposedly cruise the entire island, but I have only ever noticed Newburyport cruisers out here.

But I live off Old Point Road and no PD goes down the side streets, unless there's a problem, so I might not necessarily notice.

I was talking the other day to my landlord, who grew up in the Newbury section of the island, and I asked him if he'd ever seen it (the erosion) this bad. He said yes, just not at the Center. He added that his mother, who lives in the Newburyport section, at the point, said she has more sand than ever in front of her house.

I'll be sure to get photos of the beach after the storm rolls through tonight. If it rolls through at all.

.

2 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

There's a big old story in today's Daily News...

You mean a big new story!

Isn't John Macone the editor? How come his byline is staff writer? Is he demoting himself or was a new editor hired?

Gillian Swart said...

Huh!... I didn't even notice that it said "Staff Writer" under his name. That's pretty funny.