Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ode to a cinnamon bun

I would start a poll on the best cinnamon bun in Newburyport but polls aren't my bag.

I love cinnamon buns. But I like the ones that are 'bready' as opposed to the ones that flake all down your front as you eat them while driving down Water St. Since my Jetta has a manual transmission, it's often an adventure.

My current craze is for the buns at the Nutcracker in The Tannery. They come with raisins and without. I prefer the ones with. The guy behind the counter knows this now. He doesn't even ask.

Problem is, I like the latte prepared at Greta's on Pleasant St. better than that served at the Nutcracker. I used prefer the latte prepared at Villaggio, also in The Tannery, but they recently took out the machine.

And my reason for going there, I might add.

As incredible as it seems, the owner told me no one ever ordered espresso drinks. Except me, of course.

Can't have a bun without the latte. And I know, drinking lattes is the same as drinking chai, but I can't drink straight coffee (did you know espresso drinks have less caffeine than 'regular' coffee?). I mean, I can drink straight coffee (as in, there's no impediment to my doing so) -- if I want my legs to twitch and to have a panic attack.

I'm a mess.

Anyway, my second favorite cinnamon bun is available at Stella's on Middle St. They have huge buns; twice as big as offered anywhere else.

My grandmother, a terrible cook otherwise, made excellent cinnamon buns. I have never even attempted to make them myself.

A final note: I never found one cinnamon bun in Boston that could rival the ones I mentioned here. So for 20 years I pretty much went bunless. I love Newburyport.

8 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

drinking lattes is the same as drinking chai

That makes no sense.

Michelle said...

Ari- she meant figuratively, it's the same, like buying a Cadillac Escalade is the same as buying a Hummer

They are both gynormous, gas guzzlers, loved by those who want to flaunt something. But different.

Categorically speaking.

Anonymous said...

Since I don't even know what a latte or a chai is (something to do with ruining good coffee by adding milk?), I can't comment on them.

But, since this is a foodie thread, we need some store to acquire a good, modern frozen yoghurt machine. This is the one into which you throw a "brick" of frozen yoghurt, then pull a handle that drives an augur through the brick, mashing it into a creamy texture.

When we first lived in Boston's South End, we would walk all the way over to the Fenway shopping area to get those. Finally, a local place got one. Then, it seemed, everyone got one.

I haven't seen one anywhere here.

P.S., why does the spell checker think yoghurt is wrong? It does like yogurt, but I've always included the h.

Gillian Swart said...

I meant as both relate to yuppie-hood. Unless one is in Italy, or the North End of Boston.

Gillian Swart said...

Dick,

I think "yoghurt" is more the British spelling, maybe?

Gillian Swart said...

P.S. My reply to Ari posted after Michelle's (even though I wrote and published mine before even receiving & publishing Michelle's) - but she explained it better anyway!

Ari Herzog said...

I see. So the fact I don't drink coffee and prefer teas (chai is a mix of spices and black tea), I am branded a yuppie for not flaunting coffee.

I still don't get it.

Michelle said...

It has nothing to do with "branding" anyone a yuppie.

It was only playing on stereotypes.

"Regular" people might drink plain old coffee or tea. Yuppies drink lattes and chais. (Hence the sentence, "drinking lattes is the same as drinking chai). It's kind of tongue and cheek.

Nevermind.

I have to say, you make writing simple comments quite difficult.