Saturday, May 10, 2008

Another beach, same protest


Here's a photo my sister (oh for God's sake, her name is Sarah) sent me from the Outer Banks, where she is on vacation.

A few days ago she called and informed me that she and her husband had come across a protest on the beach. Fishermen were upset because of an injunction directing authorities to close the beach to - all traffic, including vehicles, while the least tern are nesting.
"Which doesn't explain why all the bumper stickers are against the plovers," Sarah noted in a phone conversation earlier today.* I don't think you can make out the bumper stickers on the vehicles in this photo, even with it enlarged (click on it to enlarge).
This was the same day as the NC primary, by the way.

The piping plovers are the reason the beach on the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge here on PI is closed in the spring and is only re-opened when the (endangered) plovers are done nesting and raising their offspring. It was by executive order (Nixon's) that wildlife habitats should be protected and closed when necessary.
Her comment, which accompanied the image: I can't help wondering what the states that surround NC have done, to help protect wildlife and preserve human access. I'll bet ORV use is not part of their solutions.
Sarah says she's more concerned about the sea turtles that nest a little way up the beach from this site, which is the prime destination for fishermen.
But wow, look at all that beach.
Anyway, the PRNWR actually every year recruits 'plover wardens' to keep people from wandering, sneaking or twirling into the plovers' nesting areas.
I can't find online the Current story I wrote about the woman who was performing her "spring ritual" and was twirling into plover territory while a ranger was running after her.
I do remember the warden saying something like, "It's a good thing she was twirling; if she hadn't been twirling, I'd never have caught up with her!"
If this interests you, check out long-time plover warden Janet Egan's blog here. People v. Plovers is still a 'hot button issue' in these parts.
*Sarah said she wanted to buy me a bumper sticker that reads, "Plover tastes the same as chicken," and stick it on my car while I wasn't looking.

No comments: