Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Newbury to rekindle water commission

I muddled my way through this story, posted at 3:50 a.m. on the Daily News website, and which (only now?) is telling who is running for water commissioner in tomorrow's election in Newbury.

I'm trying to ignore Newbury, since I don't live there and as far as I can tell, nobody from Newbury actually reads my blog. Wait, I lie, I know one person in Newbury who does. It's not easy, though (the ignoring part, that is).

In the story, it says that Newbury is considering bringing water and sewer service to the area around its town hall. Is that on Newburyport's dime, too? I don't know; it does not say.

The water district appears to have held its last meeting in July 2003, according to newspaper archives, when residents voted to approve a memorandum of understanding with the Newburyport Water Commission over water rights for the Plum Island water and sewer project.

The district had been revived the previous winter, in the midst of residents' dissatisfaction with an agreement between Newburyport and the Newbury Board of Selectmen.

Now, Newburyport Mayor John Moak has said Newbury will have to help find new sources of water if the city is to supply The Village at Little River commercial-and-residential development at Route 1 and Middle Road.

The Newbury Planning Board has also raised the possibility of bringing water and sewer service to the area around Town Hall and the Upper Green.

I found this piece of information to be interesting (although I knew about the school):

Newburyport supplies water to 466 Newbury customers, not counting Plum Island, according to Water Department figures. That includes Newbury Elementary School on Hanover Street.

I have a question: why did these 2 communities ever split?

6 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

I enjoy reading the Daily News' grammar. Can you count the instances of passive voice, not to mention unnecessary words?

Every season has its reason and it is futile questioning a 200-year-old decision. The better question to ask is whether Newbury and Newburyport ought to merge?

Gillian Swart said...

I debated putting the question that way, actually. As for the grammar, I have ceased to comment, unless it's really glaring. Speaking of futile.

Anonymous said...

To answer the question, the merchants of Newburyport were tired of having their lives controlled by the farmers of Newbury. I read it in Currier.

Gillian Swart said...

Figures.

Anonymous said...

I assumed your original question was rhetorical.

Given our significantly higher costs, I don't see why Newbury would want to merge. On the other hand, I think some combination West Newbury, Newbury, Georgetown, and Groveland might be beneficial to those towns.

Gillian Swart said...

It would also be a burden on our high school and other infrastructure, I would imagine. But you're right, it was a rhetorical question. After consideration, as I indicated to Ari, I decided to question the past decision (as opposed to suggesting they merge).

Good point about the other towns, though. Is Groveland a wacky place, too?