Monday, May 26, 2008

Tail vs. claws

According to this AP story, there is a long-standing debate between people who think the tail meat in a lobster is the best and people who prefer the claw meat.

Let me say right now, the former people are correct. I am, of course, one of these people.

This makes me a "tourist," per the story.

(Melissa Bouchard, head chef at DiMillo's Floating Restaurant in Portland) thinks people from Maine prefer the claw meat, while people from other parts of the country like the tail.

"It's the tourists vs. the locals," she said.

Actually - I don't really give a shit about which is the best meat - I just go straight for the most gratification in the shortest amount of time. And that would be the tail.

So fitting right in with this theme, I have an anecdote.

Yesterday (Sunday) I was over at Triple D's place, where there was a clam bake kinda thing going on. The eating of a lobster became he subject of another kind of debate, between the people who eat the tail meat first and those who go for the claws first.

Triple D was claiming that she read somewhere, once, that people who went for the tail first also go for sex before people who go for the claws first.

Well, semantics of "tail" aside (this is the English in me), and although I argued with her (as usual), I guess I can see where someone would come to that conclusion.

Impatient people want to cut to the chase. But that refutes the argument that the claw meat is tastier.

So I believe that it's about control (which is what I said last night). Easing into the big payoff puts the lobster eater/potential sex participant in control.

Or, you could see it as savoring the foreplay before getting the tail.

In the end, however, the tail still gets eaten (oh, groan). So what's the big deal?

No comments: