Thursday, May 29, 2008

Drive 60 mph, save gas!

Speaking of driving on highways, which I just was, replying to a comment from Dick Monahan, I noticed that Mass. drivers have really latched on to the saving gas regime by driving slower.

That's sarcasm.

Despite all kinds of advice about how driving 60 mph uses less gasoline, it was speeding as usual down I-495 yesterday afternoon.

I kept to the right lane and drove 60 mph. A few cars around me were also driving more moderately (including a VW Beetle that was behind me for miles, cruising at a like speed). But just about everyone else was barrelling along, including big old trucks.

Now, we hear that food prices have gone up because of the cost of transporting food across the country. Why isn't someone making the truck drivers drive slower? I saw trucks hauling products, a FedEx truck, you name it ... all going at least 75 mph since they were blowing by me.

Literally, I was left in the dust, my little Jetta shuddering in their draft.

No comments: