Thursday, May 29, 2008

Karp "a little more bullish" on waterfront hotel

Well, of course, since I was in Tyngsboro last night, I was not at the main event. That would be Karp speaking at the Chamber of Commerce annual meeting. Not that I was invited, or would have paid to go, in any case.

This first paragraphs in the Daily News story say a lot (in fact, they're the only paragraphs that really say anything at all):

GEORGETOWN — Developer Stephen Karp yesterday signaled that his company is moving forward with plans for a hotel along the Merrimack River, saying the firm, Newburyport Development, has "become more aggressive" in that area since his last visit to the city in March.

Karp said the main catalyst is the result of a market study of Newburyport regarding a hotel. He said in most cases, such a study would compare similar businesses, but none exist in the area, which caused the company doing the study to underestimate the potential.

"I think we are becoming a little more bullish on it," he said.

Since I thought he was pretty bullish about a hotel when he was in the city in March, I really have no clue what this means.

Unless, of course, he backed off when a study confirmed that the city could not support a hotel, but now he's discovered that big meetings/events have to be held at the Georgetown Country Club?

Well, I'll tell you, I've been to a lot of Chamber of Commerce meetings, gala events and whatnot for the Merrimack Valley Magazine in the last few months and only one of them was NOT held at a country club in a neighboring town. That one was held at a hotel outside of Andover, just off 495.

Not that we shouldn't have a big fancy function space here, since we're so convenient to everywhere else and all and we have those big, wide streets and ample parking ... oh, right, he's willing to work with the city on parking.

Did I mention that when I went to the YWCA of Greater Lawrence event a couple of weeks ago, held at the Andover Country Club, it took me almost a half an hour to drive a half mile because of the traffic jam from attendees exiting the country club? If not, I'm telling you now ...

That event I went to last night was at a country club in Tyngsboro (it was a Lowell event). I did not stay until the end so I don't know what the traffic was like afterwards. But the parking lot was jammed when I left, so I can only shudder at the thought.

Let's get real. You have a function space that holds 400-500 people, you've got at a minimum 350 extra cars navigating the narrow streets of Newburyport. Parking is not the only issue here.

Most rational communities apparently understand this phenomenon and use country clubs that are in a more rural setting for big meetings, galas, and whatnot.

Hey, but you know what? Amesbury has a lot of empty land that is very convenient to 495. Why not build something there, New England Development? A nice big golf course with a nice big country club.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who said anything about 400-500 people ? How about something in the 100-200 range ? Or simply a hotel to support functions at existing facilities (Phoenix room, Steeple hall)? A facility that will generate local revenue (hotel tax) that can be used to say, maintain a waterfront park ?

Gillian Swart said...

But ... in the story, it's specifically citing the 350+ range as what is needed ... and don't get me started on a waterfront park!

Anonymous said...

I believe it said that 380 people attended. I don't see where anyone, other than the reporter, implied a target capacity.

Gillian Swart said...

Wasn't there some exchange with Karp along the lines of "you can help with the fact that we had to have this event with 380 people in attendance here instead of Newburyport?"

But I get your point. Anything is better than nothing, right? I don't agree, necessarily, but I get it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I'm reading the online edition and I don't see it - maybe the print edition is different.

I don't think anything is better than nothing - I just don't see the choice as nothing or 500.

I will share a tourist story from this past weekend. The condensed version is that I ended up at Michael's with an hour wait for a lunch table - so we decided to hover around the open-seating area upstairs in hopes that a table would open up. We closed in on a table where the lunch check had been delivered only to be informed by the occupants - "We're not going anywhere, we took the train up this morning". My wife grabbed me before I had a chance to reply "Oh, I didn't realize that a train ticket entitled you to a table all afternoon".

Gillian Swart said...

Oh, I see, the joking was about the logistics of the room, not the capacity. My mistake.

I think that from now on, when a tourist is being particularly annoying, we should all tell them that there is a really 'neat' site in town, that's always in the news ... and then point them towards Crow Lane.