Sunday, June 8, 2008

Me and Andre Dubus

I was just at The Tannery and I ran into Andre Dubus.

When I say, "ran into," I really mean I engaged his wife, Fontaine, in conversation outside The Nutcracker Bakery and then she looked past me and said, "Andre! Gillian is reading your book!"

Suddenly Andre Dubus was in front of me, shaking my hand and claiming to remember my hair and face, but not me, necessarily. Huh.

I mean, it's fine he didn't remember me. He must have people coming up and saying, "Remember me? ... & etc." multiple times a day. And to be honest, if I'd seen him, I probably would have let them go on their merry way. I think he was at Jabberwocky while she was outside with the dog.

What the "huh" was for is that people remember me by my hair. But then he's very direct (understatement).

He actually put his hand on his heart and asked me if I was liking the book, so far. I'm not very far along, but I like it just fine, so far. I told him I'd re-read House of Sand and Fog before starting the new book, and he said something like, "Oh, poor you."

So that's my most recent brush with fame, if you will.

3 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

He touched your heart literally?

Gillian Swart said...

No, he put his hand over his own heart. Guess I should have been more specific, right?

Anonymous said...

Swoon!