Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dubus at Tendercrop

Hey, go to the comments on this post. If you want to see a video of local author Andre Dubus III talking about his new book, that is.

What's especially cool is that he is filmed, in part, at Tendercrop Farm in Newbury. I have actually seen him in there myself, but that was before I met him and I didn't want to impose.

Potential imposition did not stop the young woman ringing up his purchases, though. She engaged him in a conversation about him coming to speak at one of her college classes and he just as engagingly asked her how her writing was coming along.

I'm still re-reading House of Sand and Fog, but I was thinking the other day about how both books have words in them that imply safety - "house" and "garden." I wonder if that was deliberate?

Anyway, Dubus says in the vid that someone told him they hated all the characters in House of Sand and Fog. Well, all but one of them certainly are challenged, in one way or another. The only one, however, that I did not like was the policeman.

I did not like him because he is an enabler. But he is a necessary part of the drama.

No comments: