Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eating Brazilian for Father's Day

My family and I enjoyed a lovely lunch at a Brazilian restaurant/BBQ in Saugus today (Sunday). It's called, inexplicably, the Midwest Grill. You can read more about it here, on this foodie blog I found while trying to figure out where it was.

I agree with everything Richard A., the blogger says, except that our waiter was often MIA. But it was very busy, being Father's Day and all. When he did appear, he was pleasant and accommodating.

What we particularly enjoyed was that, although it was very crowded, we did not feel crowded, although there were 11 of us.

One of the things that always irks me about EAT (aka, The Border Cafe) is that the tables are too close together. It was loud, though.

But the food was good - and never ending. Men with skewers of dripping meat kept appearing at the table (causing one of my brothers-in-law to go into a state of ecstasy) and the hot foods buffet and cold salads station was well-stocked with all kinds of food, both the usual salad-y stuff and the Brazilian/South American (or just plain tropical, like fried plantains, yum); there was also some rice concoction similar to jambalaya that I really liked.

It's all-you-can-eat (you can also order from the menu), it's not horribly expensive (I think it was $18.95 pp, but that was lunch) and a good time was had by all.

Why don't we have a place like this, here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The original Midwest Grille in Cambridge is one of my favorite places. I did not know they have another one. Here, BTW, is their own web page: http://www.midwestgrillrestaurant.com/

There is also one in Arlington.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Dick! Can't think of why I didn't include their web page.

Ari Herzog said...

Yeah, I've eaten at the Inman Square location and didn't know of a Saugus locale. But like the Border Cafe that opened a second location, I'm not surprised the Midwest Grill did too.

As to your question about a similar location in Newburyport, it's all about demographics and projected popularity; I can see a venue in Haverhill or Lawrence but not Newburyport.