Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Triple-D 1, Gillian 0

So there we were this morning, driving through the Back Bay on our way to the Westin.

She said something, I don't remember what, and I replied, "I know; I used to live here."

"I know, but you lived on Beacon Hill," she said.

"Yes, but I also lived here, in the Back Bay ... on Marlborough St."

Whoops.

I got an earful about living in the most yuppie part of the city and etc. and so on. All said in a most sarcastic tone, I might add. So what if I frequently do ruffle her feathers about being the consummate yuppie?

It was the historical aspect of both the Back Bay and Beacon Hill that I liked. And peering into rich people's living rooms as I walked by on the sidewalk, pulling my wire shopping trolley behind me.

Actually, Beacon Hill was a lot like here, in that there were a lot of older people who had lived there all for a long while, owned their home, but who could no longer afford the property taxes on the home. As I have noted many times (and as many of you know), Boston had its own period of decrepitude and that's why I moved there.

I seem to always come in on the cusp, though. Today there was only a distant echo of what I remember from 1985, when my sister and I arrived there. It was even more high-end than what I remembered from when I moved away, nearly 4 years ago now.

No comments: