Monday, June 16, 2008

Oregano's: a mini-review

I still have not gone there ... but I got an email from a friend who has, and she (and her husband) liked it! They liked it! With reservations (no pun intended).

Nice, hot, chewy rolls. Good thin crust pizza (margarita) although the cheese was not mozzarella but more like pecorino. [Husband's] shrimp scampi was tasty without having too much garlic. They gave us free mussels because [Husband's] pasta was late. They were yummy, moules mariniere.

One table did get up and leave though because no one waited on them for like 10 minutes, so they still have some bugs to iron out.

So it would seem they are not completely kink-free yet (much like my hair), but I'm sure they're working on it (I've given up on the hair).

Not springing for enough wait staff seems to be a common thing at restaurants these days, but on the other hand ... I've waited much longer for service than 10 minutes in Boston restaurants. I was annoyed, though.

Not sure I would leave, however ... complaining often leads to free mussels, in a quality operation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A person waiting in a restaurant is a person occupying expensive real estate while not spending any money. That is not a recipe for a successful place. And, this is a place that has people waiting on the sidewalk to get in. The magic word is turnover. Or, in restaurant jargon, "How many covers did you do tonight?".

Gillian Swart said...

True enough, Dick! I was trying to be light about it, seeing as how I don't want it to fail. Especially since I just heard the Globe reviewer slammed River Merrimack Bar & Grill.