Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Budget

I did not post on the final budget figures because I was convinced I had misheard. Watching the meeting on cable can be unsatisfying as councillors rustle papers in front of the microphones a lot.

Well, I had not misheard. I just checked with the clerk's office and here are the 2009 budget figures:

Total city budget: $56,034,883.40

That includes the School Dept. at $20,935,793, the Water Dept. at $4,370,149.71, the Sewer Dept. at $4,588,236.36 and the Harbormaster Dept. at $315,254.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that city budget seems to be about 10 million dollars more than was estimated in May...strange.

also, wasn't last years budget only 34 million? Why such an increase?

Gillian Swart said...

Hey, Ben ... yeah, that's the main reason why I thought I had heard incorrectly. I had $46M stuck in my head and then I checked the DN story, and that's what it said was projected.

I know there's more money for the schools in there, but less than $1M, so that does not account for the difference.

Gillian Swart said...

Now I look at the figures again, I think it's because the water, sewer and harbormaster are enterprise accts. and probably were not included in the $46M operating budget. Those three total around $9M.

Anonymous said...

ah, that could be it. still, why such a big increase over the past year (if that $34 million is correct)?

Gillian Swart said...

I still don't see a story in the DN online. Stephen Tait was there 'til the end, so I think he went over the deadline for today's paper. Still, you'd think they would post something online.