Monday, June 30, 2008

I got a gun ... and I know how to use it! (Maybe)

I was thinking, while cleaning my gun a bit ago ... ah, I'm kidding. I don't own a gun.

I did touch one, at Kittery Trading Post, at the urging of my ex-boyfriend. It was really important to him - don't ask me why. Maybe because he owned one.

There have been exactly two times in my life (at least that I can recall) where, if I had had a gun in my hand or in close proximity thereto, I might have shot the person standing or sitting in front of me. I might have.

I think most of us have probably had those moments. It's a fine line that we walk, between law-abiding and law-breaking.

But I digress ... I recently read a story in The Flint Journal about people who gathered to support Michigan's open carry law. These people, including women, were babbling at a park and in the paper about their right to carry a gun. And it is their right.

Well ... it seems to me that no woman should go on record as a gun carrier. Because now the really bad guys (those that read the paper or who were lurking on the outskirts of the demonstration) know that those women have guns on them.

And as I pointed out in a comment to the story, what's to stop one of two of the bad guys from jumping the women from behind and taking their guns, now that they know who the women are? Or even the men, for that matter?

This is the kind of lack of common sense that disturbs me. Trumpeting Being Rambo, or Rambette, trumps common sense.

So ... maybe I do own a gun. What was I doing looking at guns at the Kittery Trading Post, after all? Only The Shadow (and my ex) knows for sure ...

No comments: