Monday, June 2, 2008

Landfill: they think we're stupid?

I can't believe I missed the Red Sox game for this.

Some two-and-a-half hours, much of it spent lurking at City Hall waiting for the (possibly illegal) executive session to wrap up, followed by pleading, imploring and begging - and the City Council wimped ... I mean, want to mull things over.

Danger, Will Robinson!

I'm not even going to go into the pleading, imploring and begging because it means nothing.

Some vital quotes from councillors:

Donna Holaday - "We need time to digest what we heard."
Brian Derrivan (Ward 5 councillor, where the landfill is) - "We have a lot before us, some important facts (his emphasis) to mull around."
Ed Cameron - "We need to take a little time ... the state wants to cap this by December."
Kathleen O'Connor Ives - "There are some very complicated issues" ... and something along the lines of "we need to do what's best for all of Newburyport."

By that time I'd figured out that they are going to cave, so I stopped writing and folded my arms over my chest.

Yada, yada, yada.

Only former Council President Tom O'Brien had the cahones to stand up and say he was ready to vote (NO).

Obviously whatever they heard in that (possibly illegal) executive session must have been something along the lines of, "Hey, we'll fix your budget deficit."

This reminds me of the way Pres. Bush says you can't criticize him because he's a wartime president. Of course, he's the one who started the war ... so hey, Newburyport citizens, we can't tell you what deals were made and revealed in the executive session because we made the executive session so we wouldn't have to tell you. Silly people.

Where were all the non-Ward 5 or non-Ward 4 people? You don't care about this issue? I suggest the people who live near the landfill swap homes with some of you other people.

On the bright side, 3 people (including New Ventures attorney "Chip" Nylen) started their comments by saying, "If you read the blogs ... " hee hee

Everett, you may be on your own. But good news, all that stinky mess you want out of your city might be coming soon to our city.

More tomorrow, after I sort out the fact that one of my disk brakes was red hot when I got home. Funny how that happened the same day I took it in to be serviced, huh?

No comments: