Monday, June 23, 2008

No more nastiness on DN website

The Daily News, kind of late in the day, has set standards for comments on its online stories. And they are here.

Unfortuntely, it was done too late to wipe from people's minds the nasty tone of comments on the Billy White stories, most of which were leveled against the family of Trista Zinck, the girl that White ran down and killed while he was driving drunk.

Also, I suppose, they want to stop comments such as the one which called a little boy who is allergic to peanuts "Peanut Boy" and his mother "Peanut Mom." It made me smile (just a hint of one), but now there will be no Crude statements about a child or children.

Was labeling the child "Peanut Boy" crude? It was more insensitive, I would say ...

Also, oddly, people can't say anything about their personal health, sexual activity, or other personal matters. What if it's relevant to the story? How is that "offensive?" You know how I feel about this, readers!

False statements about a person, business or institution. Who is the judge of whether a statement is false?

Conversely, they are allowing Criticism of people who are subjects of stories.

So I guess they don't want people calling each other names, threatening violence, etc., among the group of commenters, which seems reasonable.

I see there have not been a lot of comments posted within the last 24 hours.

11 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

I love how the word, "moron," is deemed name-calling. What if someone is a proven moron?

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up as I hadn't seen it. I just added my own comment there.

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Jillian,

A friend of mine, my best American friend here in the United States, posted the comment referring to the unfortunate child as 'Peanut Boy', an act of unspeakable cruelty that nonetheless made me smile. I preferred his use of the term 'Legume Leery Lad' myself, but then again I am fascinated with this English language.

In regards to the above comment about the moron, I would say it's difficult to prove that someone is a moron, seeing as it's entirely possible for someone to hide their moronic tendencies behind a wall of clever words.

Additionally, a moron is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, you are all heathens, unbelievers, and the refusal to follow the word of God in the Koran tells me that you are all morons. Woe is me to be surrounded by such unbelievers!

- Mahatma Kote

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Saint Kote, you may find it is very easy to define a moron in America.

The latest definition is anyone who posts comments on a blog.

Also, they are all related to Hitler and are Nazis. Ask Mr. Goodwin, he knows all about it.

So let us all writhe around the moron pool and have a good time.

I expect that many of the people on the snoozes website are the same people who made it illegal to yell FIRE in a theater.

thanks,
sds

(ps. personally i do wonder though, as a buddhist, do you really enjoy following the works of G-d?)

Gillian Swart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian Swart said...

Oh, Mahatma. I knew you would show up when I referenced "Peanut Boy."

I recall exactly who made the comment.

Also, by definition, a moron does no know any clever words. Unless they are being spoon fed to them and even then, they often cannot spit them back out in a coherent manner.

Which brings me back round to Das Karrot ... what's going on there?

Gillian Swart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian Swart said...

sds - who is Mr. Goodwin???

Btw, that was me deleting my own comments. Blogger is nuts tonight!

Ari Herzog said...

I can only imagine Ray.

Anonymous said...

hi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

thanks,
sds

Gillian Swart said...

Oh, thanks, sds. I'd never heard of that law!

Anonymous said...

Dear blogger sds,

I am not one of the heathen unbelievers such as the Buddhists. I am a man of God who follows the Koran. I can see how the poor American school system could allow one to make such a tremendous embarrassment of a mistake, and the other day I was mistaken for an Indian, one of the Kashmir-stealing nuclear bandits who antagonize the Pakistani people on a daily basis.

Even the waiters at the Mr India fine restaurant give me the evil eye, furtively glancing in my direction while their women dress as lesbians with uncovered faces, trying to tempt me into letting my guard down. It's unbelievable, really.

- Mahatma Kote