Friday, June 6, 2008

I'm rambling, yes indeed

In one of Mary's posts, she talks about Jim Roy's former column in the Current, as does Tom Salemi. As I think I reported here previously, Jim was unceremoniously cut from that paper.

Now this was just hearsay, but it did come from 2 people who had talked to Jim. I've heard that some of the Powers That Be at the Current did not appreciate the column, but, like Mary, I found it interesting and often very funny. I do believe that was his intent. I know the mayor hated it.

One thing a politician needs is thick skin. As I once told someone who was complaining about the now-defunct Undertoad, no one can get to you unless you let them. Letting stuff someone writes get to you gives the power to the writer. It also doesn't hurt to amend your behavior, if the criticism is valid.

I found that both Tom Ryan and Jim Roy gave credit where credit was due, at least from their perspective of credit due. And their perspective is just as valid as anyone else's view. I did not live here when the Undertoad was at its 'best.'

But as Tom always said, "If you don't want it printed, don't let it happen." It was right there, on the masthead.

It's too bad there's no online archive for the Undertoad. I bet it's not at the library, either.

I have one issue, from July 27, 2007, that I bought when I was about to interview former City Councillor Gary Roberts when he was running for re-election (there's an interview with Roberts in the issue).

One of the headlines is "Moak's A Coward." John Moak, of course, is our mayor, for those of you who don't live here. The piece is about the failed override initiative last year. Now I read in the Daily News that Moak is asking the City Council to put a debt exclusion on the November ballot.

But that's another post.

No comments: