Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Me and Gloria Steinem (barely)



Unfortunately, this is as close as I got to Gloria Steinem (that's not me in the photo). Due to various mishaps and miscommunications, the mag for which I covered the story never got to schedule a few minutes with her.

I found out the same time I was snapping some pics that I could have, if we had ... oh, well, let's just say we did not get the correct contact info.

I don't know what I would have asked her that she did not cover in her talk.

"Hey, Ms. Steinem, how about them Celtics?"

Doesn't she look great for a 74-year-old?

I have never been a raging feminist (although I do believe in the cause), and I admit I've never closely followed Ms. Steinem's career, but I still got all teary-eyed when she walked onto the stage.

Other than the speech, it's been a dismal day. Triple-D and I (she handles sponsorships for the Commonwealth Institute and was the one who arranged for me to attend) struck out from Plum Island at 5:45 a.m. The breakfast was scheduled to start at 7:30.

Wow, I've rarely been in traffic so bad. I don't know if it was the rain or what, but we got there at barely 8 a.m. Of course, we did take a little of the scenic route.

So Ms. S told some jokes, spoke a lot about how the Democratic primary is going (noting it was a historic day) and was part of a Q&A with Channel 4 news anchor Lisa Hughes. It was all filmed, so I expect it will be on the news.

4 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Tsk, tsk, driving into Boston in the early morning. You should have taken the train.

Gillian Swart said...

I know, it would have got us there in plenty of time. Plus, all that car exhaust! And all those cars with just one person inside! It was really an eye-opener.

Ari Herzog said...

Forget the exhaust or the drive time; the parking alone in Boston isn't worth driving in. Unless if you're parking there at night, or parking in Brookline or such.

Anonymous said...

While we are glad we moved to Newburyport, there are two major disappointments.

1. While we deliberately bought a place from which we could walk downtown, we found there is nothing we want to buy there. Those store are for tourists, not residents.

2. The last train home is too early. We can't take the train to see a show. And, even if we get out early enough for the last one, it requires a 15-minute stand in the weather at Beverly to switch trains. This latter is really stupid. There is no good reason the second train, which is waiting down the track a ways, couldn't pull in right behind the Rockport train the brought us there.