Monday, June 30, 2008

City Council or Red Sox?

This is my dilemma. One could be just as ... pardon me ... dismal as the other.

On the other hand, the Red Sox are playing Tampa Bay and there could be another brawl.

The City Council is debating whether to change the designation of Cushing Park so (maybe) a senior citizens center can be built there, someday. There could be a brawl here, too, only of a more verbal nature.

I see all kinds of comments and opinions on this issue, most notably in the Daily News and on Tom Salemi's blog. This is the latest, from community activist and open space advocate Mary Harbaugh.

I wonder if Mary is in any way related to Jim Harbaugh, former quarterback for the University of Michigan (go blue)?

Well, I have driven by Cushing Park a lot in the last few weeks (mostly when lost) and I have yet to see anyone frolicking on the huge expanse of pavement there. Or parking there, for that matter.

I gather from recent conversations that this area has for a long time been a hotbed of discontent. If I understood correctly, there was a vacant factory building there and when someone came along and made it into a working factory, people bitched.

Now residents want to preserve that expanse of pavement for emergency snow parking. Who clears out that lot when there has been a heavy snow? The residents?

I don't think so!

Who clears out where I park when there's been a heavy snow? One guess.

No comments: