Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Derrivan drumming up support

You don't have to be a musician to feel the love that's ever so slowly spreading through the city.

After last week's appeal in the Daily News, some people have come forward to maybe fund a concert or two on the Waterfront this summer.

And Ward 5 City Councillor Brian Derrivan, who is apparently a drummer by hobby, is also pushing his fellow councillors to contribute $136 each to fund a concert (full cost is $1500).

He said his idea is to lead by example.

"If we could show the business community that we are willing to sponsor a concert, we could get the rest of the business community to respond," he said. "For me to donate that money to save a concert, I think that is money well spent."

I don't know why Chamber President Ann Ormond feels it would be difficult to get all 11 councillors to cough up $136 each, but maybe she knows something we don't! I bet campaign signs cost them more than that, each.

So the beat may go on, after all. I commend Derrivan for his initiative. Just don't get some band that has a 'goofy' name for their concert, Chamber of Commerce.

I can see/hear it all now - "And now, presented by the Newburyport City Council, The Fools!"*

It's too bad The Fools are not still together - or are they? One of them is/was Donna Holaday's hubby. I thought I read they were re-uniting. I think I WROTE that they were re-uniting ...

* No offense meant, Fools; in any other circumstance, it's a great name.

1 comment:

Janet Egan said...

The Fools reunited in 2006 and came out with a new album "10" in 2007 so I suppose there is some chance of the City Council sponsoring them. I love the new songs on 10. "Time Will Not Erase US" is my current favorite song.