Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dragonflies

I was sitting on my enclosed porch a bit ago, talking on the phone, and I noticed a new addition to my yard: the dragonflies are back. There were about a dozen or so of them flying around the house.

One of the best things in the Public Garden (Boston) in the spring - aside from the bambino duckies - was the hatching of the dragonflies every June. Walking over the bridge, you almost had to part them to go forward.

The person I was talking to on the phone told me that the dredging in the river used to disrupt the larvae and so for years there have been fewer dragonflies in these parts. Wow, I didn't realize most of a dragonflies' life is spent in the larval form, under water.

It seems that there are more this year than last, so I hope she is correct.

No comments: