Monday, June 16, 2008

Socializing

So I've got a question: when did it become mandatory for people who are invited to a social event to bring something, aside from a 'hostess gift?'


From what I recall, if someone invited you to a party and they wanted you to bring booze, they put "BYOB" on the invitation; if they wanted you to bring food, they called it a "potluck." Both of these are perfectly acceptable, as you know going in what is expected of you.


So now I get invitations that don't specify either of those things, I don't feel obligated to bring any food or drink with me. I might do it just because I want to, but do I have to feel as if I MUST?


I just got an Evite from someone, for a party where they are going to try and sell me cosmetic products. It's called a "Spa Night." The hostess of this event just emailed me and said, "feel free to bring wine or an appetizer if you want."


I hope she is kidding, since I had this same discussion with her last week. I guess since I told her it was unlikely I'd buy anything, she feels this is the least I could do? The reason it's unlikely I'd buy anything is because I'm living on what amounts to a fixed budget, and she knows that.

Cosmetics are for me a luxury, not a necessity. Eating out, however, is a necessity.


Am I so totally out of the social loop on this?

No comments: