Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WWTF

Every time I type "WWTF," I feel like I'm typing an abbreviation for a swear. Not to mention the water treatment facility ...

OK, so I was just writing up my story on last night's City Council meeting and - silly me - the part about the bonds and notes being "secured by local system revenues" of course can also refer to sewer rates.

But in any case, this debacle out here on the island is apparently scaring people into being more careful before they enter into deals to "improve" things.

Well, I do have to note that since I wrote the post about rushing headlong into projects doomed for disaster (vacuum sewer systems and capping landfills) I have obtained more information about building a whole new treatment plant.

Where the heck would one put this plant, I was asked ... well, there is a whole bunch of space in the industrial park.

Who owns that? No, really, I'm asking - who owns that?

I'm open to suggestions because, as unlikely as it may seem, before another 20 years is up, the DEP may indeed come to life and start enforcing stricter limits on levels of chlorine in the effluent being discharged into the river.

Because while in years past maybe it was a pretty safe assumption that you shouldn't make $26 million plans based on some federal law like ... let's say the Clean Water Act (because the state isn't actually enforcing it) who really knows at this point?

See, we got this new president guy now.

Enforcement of the Clean Water Act seems like something he might get around to one day in the next four years.

No comments: