Monday, March 16, 2009

The mayor strikes back

So the mayor has come out in the Daily News to say the PI sewer system does not need an "overhaul."

That's the word that was used in the headline of my story in the Current, by the way - "overhaul."

I think I kind of agree ... but probably not the same way he means it.

"I've never felt this was an extreme major problem like some other people," Moak said.


Those "other people" are the sewer department - the ones who have been running the system. And me, I guess.

"Airvac was very responsive," Moak said. "Airvac is looking at alternatives to the pits. They're committed to doing testing and giving us some suggestions."


Alternatives to the pits? So it's not an overhaul, it's a complete replacement? What can he mean?

I think he means alternatives to insulating the pits and the other things that were outlined in that 5-page memo.

But still, it's pretty funny, huh?

Moak said part of the dilemma was that the city was caught off guard when the valves started to freeze. He said Provincetown on Cape Cod had encountered similar difficulties two years ago, but no one at Airvac or CDM had alerted Newburyport to the possibility of such freeze-ups here.


Didn't Brendan O'Regan say they were assured the valves would work, even if encased in a block of ice? That almost makes it seem as if icing was at least mentioned ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "overhaul" probably sells more papers....

My sources tell me there is a low cost solution (used in PTown) that involves modifying the pits.

The two key questions are:

1) Who decided to install the pits under the road and why ? (though
I think I know why)

2) Who was supposed to oversee the placement of the vents ?

I'm not sure that either would have prevented the freezing problems, but at least we'd know that neither was to blame.

Gillian Swart said...

That 'low cost' solution involves drilling holes between the 2 parts of the pit so the water coming in through the manholes runs down into the sump. I'm unclear on how that stops the water from icing before it gets down there, but hey ... by all means, let's drill holes into the sump.

You think PTown's winters are equivalent to here, temp-wise?

Gillian Swart said...

P.S. Bubba - that's what they said to me - that the water is freezing from the top down. Because they pump out the standing water twice a year.

Makes no sense, does it?

Anonymous said...

Well, given the water is a liquid when it seeps into the manholes, one would assume that a large enough hole would allow it to drain into the sump before it freezes. And if it doesn't work, I assume one could simply plug the hole no ? Or are suggesting the hole is irreversible ?

It depends on what you consider equivalent. Certainly Nbpt is colder, but I'm not sure that really matters since the surface temperature would have to be above freezing for water to flow into the pit.

I think a bigger concern is that this solution would introduce rain and/or ground water into the sewer system.

Anonymous said...

PS. Lakes also freeze from top down.

Gillian Swart said...

Shhhh, that's all in my story. Now the Daily News has it ... good point about the temps ... think about that some more.

P.S. No further comment, for now.

Anonymous said...

Gillian, I just want to congratulate you. As Jon Stewart said at the end of his Kramer interview last week (roughly): Is it not the job of a journalist to verify what one is told, to check around and see what those who might be thought experts have to say? I, for one, am loving this (since I don't live with the frozen valves in N'port).

Gillian Swart said...

Oh thank you. I think it's our job, yes.