Monday, March 9, 2009

Running around City Hall

So ... also while I was at City Hall, I made some inquiries about perhaps gaining access to minutes of the Plum Island Workgroup.

You all remember that crew, right? They oversaw the water/sewer project ...

About a year-and-a-half ago, I made a similar attempt to track down these minutes. Mind you, this group was chaired by whoever was the mayor at the time. It was his or her group (it went through Mead, Lavendar and Moak).

I had been tipped off that the minutes and accompanying docs were all in a file cabinet in a storage room in the basement of City Hall, but I need to go to the Mayor's Office to get access.

Last time, I was told to call the woman who took the minutes for the PI Workgroup.

Today I was told to call the woman who took the minutes for the PI Workgroup.

She no longer works for the city in any capacity, but apparently she and only she can direct me to where these elusive minutes are in the basement of City Hall.

"It's a real maze down there."

Of course, she's got a full-time job now and might not get back to me right away (this is what I was told), but she'll get back to me.

Yeah, just like the last time, when she did not return my calls.

You think there's something they don't want anyone to see down in the basement of City Hall?

These are public documents ... I should not have to be chasing down some woman who took minutes at the meetings to get them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a couple of years ago that, sometime fairly recently, someone decided that more file cabinets were needed, so someone went down into the basement, removed random papers from file cabinets and piled them on the floor. The result is that the storage room is a complete mess. I also heard that there were some volunteers who were spending time down there organizing things.

How's that for vague info? :-(

Gillian Swart said...

Vague is better than none! Thanks

Mary said...

Sounds rather Kafkaesque. Does this fall under the Freedom of Information Act?

Gillian Swart said...

Probably ... not to mention that since the mayor is meeting with the people involved in installing the system in a couple of days, the relevant info would be stacked neatly somewhere in his office.

Gillian Swart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian Swart said...

I double posted. Damn Blogger!

Gillian Swart said...

So you know where the files are ... do tell.

I believed her when she said it was a maze.

But that's not my problem. Well, it is - but it shouldn't be. That's my point.