Friday, March 20, 2009

"The Health Czar"

Way down the posts - but only a couple of days ago - I wrote about Jack Morris, our health director, and his reported duties in neighboring communities, Amesbury and Salisbury.

At the end of Thursday's Board of Health meeting, the chairman (I believe his name is Robin Blair) made an announcement to "clarify" Morris' role since Amesbury Mayor Thatcher Kezer axed that town's health dept.

OK, his clarification needed clarification, but here's what I understand:

Morris is covering Amesbury in emergencies. I guess the health dept. being eliminated is an "emergency," but we've got one of them there inter-municipal agreements with Amesbury where we share stuff like health directors and fire engines, when necessary.

Same with Salisbury, except in this case -Morris works PT in Salisbury, doing food inspections, on his own time (as in, after 4 Mon.-Wed. and Friday afternoons; City Hall is open until 8 p.m. on Thursdays and closes at noon on Friday). Salisbury pays him for his time.

I hope I got it right!

No comments: