Saturday, March 28, 2009

I miss my friends in Detroit

I had a long chat on Facebook last night with a friend from Michigan that I haven't seen in years and years.

I always associate Gerald with music so it's not surprising that our chat started with him saying he'd made me another mix CD.

What's interesting to me is that I don't associate him with photography ... since, you know, he's not only a musician but a photographer.

And he's also an aspiring writer, he tells me.

Some of the best years of my life were when my sister Sarah and I lived together in Pontiac, Michigan. A lot of the memories involve Gerald, who I always picture in an olive drab army jacket.

All of us being in Big Boy at night (and being asked to leave, I might add), Gerald fixing my car, us in Detroit (where he still lives) and him making crepes during his visit to Boston oh all those years ago.

Gerald would work hard, save all his money, and then go off to Europe and stay there until he ran out of money. He'd come home and start over again ...

Now that's an interesting life.

No comments: