Monday, March 30, 2009

Adding insult to injury




A reader sent me via email his observations regarding Newbury fire trucks getting stuck on the marsh and I guess breaking down, last Thursday.

We had really high tides last week, but I guess that didn't stop a brush fire from breaking out near the airport. There was one out here, too, the week before (see photo).

On Thursday as I was leaving the island, problably after 12:00, but didn't look at time, the large Volpe Tow truck was driving onto the apron at Plum Island International Airport.

With my curiosity piqued, I turned around and into the parking lot as the tow truck proceeded down the runway toward the west end. Asked a person with a camera what was happening and she said that a Newbury fire truck had driven down the runway for a brush fire and had gotten stuck (obviously after driving off the paved runway).

Upon leaving and heading east on High Road, saw the "tracked" fire truck (small one) being loaded on another flatbed tow truck.

All this at about the same time that Newbury Selectmen and woman were dismissing a fireman.

Not a good day for Newbury Fire Department.

I do wish Blogger didn't make it so difficult to format a post after you've inserted a photo ...

No comments: