Thursday, March 19, 2009

Changes 101

I'm reading Lynne Hendricks' piece in today's Daily News about Kevin Lyons leaving the school district. No need to read between the lines there ...

I guess that by the time Gordon Bechtel got to talking to me, perhaps he had regrets about what he'd said to her ... ? Because I asked him about the executive session and whatnot, and he said nothing even remotely like this to me:

“I can say that one of the issues all School Committee members are emphatic about is that we understand things from Kevin, and we’ll evaluate them, and do everything we can to improve the institution so that we can retain superintendents in the future,” said Bechtel. “We’ll learn from the situation as much as we can and make some changes accordingly.”


Not that it doesn't makes sense to me, because it makes perfect sense. I wonder how they could have dealt so closely with Kevin and not noticed his increasing dismay? It was right there in his face ... still, he also insisted to me that he only applied to Hudson after being advised by other superintendents that it was the ideal situation for him.

I used to cover both the Newburyport School Committee and the Amesbury School Committee, and I gotta tell you - ours could learn from theirs.

Having said all that, I agree totally with Tom Salemi's post of earlier today. We need to know what happened in that executive session and in other discussions. And I see Tom has added some more links to the Daily News.

Just go to his blog if you want more info (no need for duplication).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Tom points out, the minutes of that executive session must be made public because Lyons has taken the (i.e., there is no valid reason to keep them closed).

Gillian Swart said...

I don't think he has officially accepted the position (there are contract details to work out w/Hudson). It will be interesting to see if those minutes ever show up, though. Did Judy, the minutes-taker, leave the room with them?