Tuesday, March 31, 2009

mea culpa - I'm bashing myself!

I have to correct this because it's important - and now I'm really confused - but I'll sort it out in time to write a story.

This is the Declaration of Goals and Policy in the Clean Water Act:

(a) The objective of this Act is to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Nation's waters. In order to achieve this objective it is hereby declared that, consistent with the provisions of this Act--

(1) it is the national goal that the discharge of pollutants into the navigable waters be eliminated by 1985;

(2) it is the national goal that wherever attainable, an interim goal of water quality which provides for the protection and propagation of fish, shellfish, and wildlife and provides for recreation in and on the water be achieved by July 1, 1983;

(3) it is the national policy that the discharge of toxic pollutants in toxic amounts be prohibited;

(4) it is the national policy that Federal financial assistance be provided to construct publicly owned waste treatment works;

(5) it is the national policy that areawide waste treatment management planning processes be developed and implemented to assure adequate control of sources of pollutants in each State;

and so on. To #4 I say, "HA!"

So that sewer commissioner was correct - shame on me!

8 comments:

Bubba said...

You've certainly been busy whilst I was away on holiday. I think you need to toss in a maxima culpa.


PS No, I'm not the mayor.

Gillian Swart said...

How come all of a sudden you sound like an Englishman? So you've been on holiday? No wonder I've been having such a hard time!

No maxima culpa because I'll fix it (and I was led astray ...).

Sir Bubba said...

Perhaps I've always been an Englishman ? Does your mea culpa make you Roman ?

Perhaps we should start an over/under pool on how much the city spends on landfill litigation ?

Gillian Swart said...

Sure, what's the baseline amount?

No, not Roman but could have been, in the past ... I have a real affinity for the Roman Empire.

You may call me Gilliana. Crikey

Bubba le Conquerant said...

How far do you want to go back ?I'm Norman before 1066 and Viking allegedly before that.

Bubba is definitely not Roman and certainly not 1st declension.

If frigid air being sucked down the candycanes were the source of the frozen valve pits, wouldn't the sump freeze first ?

Gillian Swart said...

Wow, you were well-traveled. I guess that's the Viking part, huh?

Bubba the Red?

What? Did I claim that cold air being sucked down the vents was causing anything? I thought I had rejected that notion ...

What have you done with the real Bubba?

Bubba le Conquerant said...

Well, I never said that you claimed that the candycanes were the source. I was simply appealing to your vast knowledge on the subject. Bubba can't afford to call guys in Michigan.

C'est le meme Bubba.

PS Pedro est votre ami.

Gillian Swart said...

Oh vraiment? Il a dit qu'il ne vous connais pas.

And I have a pricey long-distance package ...