Friday, March 6, 2009

Just leave it to me

Someone posted this bit of opinion on Facebook, so I thought I would share. It's a post from TheBigMoney.com, by Dan Mitchell.

Jon Stewart's hilarious and devastating attack on CNBC Wednesday night has brought yet another round of protestations along the lines of: "Why don't the mainstream media do this kind of thing? Why is it left to comedians?"

Yeah, why don't the media be satirical?

And while journalists could surely stand to (judiciously) add more humor to their presentation of the news, that's far from their first job. And as much as ideologues of various stripes would like to believe otherwise, it also isn't their first job to skewer anything, though there should be more of that, too (judiciously applied.) Their first job is to present the facts—fairly. And there have been plenty of media examinations of CNBC, its shallow cheerleading, and its boneheaded presentation.

But none quite as funny as Stewart's ... this spot from last night was hysterical. Also check out this spot ...

Anyway, back to satire and the media - you may have noticed that on page 2 of the Current are some rather satirical reports of local news. Or snide comments. Whatever, it suits my temperament, although I have to admit I didn't care for it at first.

Leave the snide comments and satire to me, I thought.

But then I started to get fan mail from people who thought it was me making the snippy comments.

Oh yeah, that was me ... definitely me. It was my idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

If you want to see John Stewart at his best watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

His time on Crossfire. Right before the show was canceled...

thanks,
sds

Gillian Swart said...

I remember that ... Tucker Carlson looking like an even bigger idiot than usual. Thanks