Thursday, March 5, 2009

Holy hijinks, Batman!

It looks as if the City Council will be taking up the issue of the $26,380,000 mods to the wastewater treatment facility at Monday's meeting.

I never have figured out how this goes, but there is an order in the package to appropriate the funds and authorizing the mayor to borrow the money ... or ....

"... and issue bonds or notes therefor under Chapter 44 of the General Laws and/or Chapter 29C of the General Laws; such bonds or notes shall be general obligations of the City unless the Treasurer with the approval of the Mayor determines that they should be issued as limited obligations and may be secured by local system revenues (my emphasis) as defined in Section 1 of Chapter 29C ..."
Now, it had been suggested to me long before I read this that the mayor might be considering paying back "these obligations" through people's property tax bill rather than through sewer rates, but when I talked to the mayor about it, he said that was an option that he had considered but he really did not think he would go that way.

I guess he's leaving that option open.

What I want to know is, if it's on Newburyport people's tax bill, how do we force the people in Newbury who are hooked into our sewer system to pay their share?

That was the question I asked back then, too.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that this language is in the order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Face it, the city is controlled by business interests who will benefit greatly if costs are shifted to residential property owners via property taxes.

Gillian Swart said...

Yeah *sigh*