Friday, March 27, 2009

Humph

I just read this story in the Daily News about a "familiar face gets behind Taffy's spatula."

Local restaurateur Jim Noyes is the new owner of Taffy's on State Street and hopes to reopen the eatery in April.


The funny thing is, I was introduced by City Clerk Richard Jones to this Jim Noyes just yesterday, when I was picking up the City Council agenda. We were discussing how I could write a story and what a scoop it would be.

I guess he went home and called the Daily News ... because he said at that point (3 p.m.) that they did not know.

This happens a lot and it's understandable.

As not the paper of record, the Current is at a distinct disadvantage as far as people calling in tips goes. In my experience, tips are phoned in after the Daily News has rejected the tipper.

That's what happened with the PI sewer thing. The person who tipped the Current off (hereafter known as "Tipper") had called the DN and been told it wasn't a story. Then the DN decided there was a story there, probably after Tipper called them back to say the Current was on the case.

I'm guessing here based on the fact that there eventually was a story in the DN.

Speaking of which, I attended the Sewer Commission meeting last night, as did Victor Tine. The chairman guy (David Hanlon) always announces that the press is there ...

Anyway, in the PI sewer update they discussed debris getting in the lower pit, which I found amusing. Now they want to put a pipe in the hole so debris doesn't go down the hole. Sounds like a big hole.

And they want AIRVAC to drill the holes in the test pits and run tests on how the holes would affect the integrity of the plate between the two parts of the pit (actually, they said that at the March 12 meeting).

And they're taking a field trip down to P-Town to see how they addressed their problems (the ones that Mr. Burke - their WWTF and collections manager - told me they didn't have).

Oh well.

No comments: