Monday, March 9, 2009

Bridge vs. no bridge

I guess I both agree and disagree with this editorial in today's Daily News.

On one hand, it does seem foolhardy to spend $550,000 to re-open a bridge for a few months before it gets torn down and replaced.

On the other hand, and although it's difficult to measure, how hurt would businesses in the Port and in Amesbury and in Salisbury be if the bridge remains closed over the summer?

I don't believe I have been to Amesbury once since the bridge was closed last November, after a barge hit it.

It is difficult in these economic times to judge whether businesses that are blaming the bridge closing for slow business are assessing the situation correctly - but I'm sure our local delegation is getting an earful from the businesses (in fact, I know they are).

And if we can spend $500,000+ to re-vamp a smallish rectangle of grass across from City Hall, why not use a little more to open the bridge, even if temporarily? It's only $1 million ... what's $1 million to us, eh?

I think a lot more people use the bridge than ever venture into Brown Square ...

No comments: