Friday, July 18, 2008

When the rain comes

I left my yard earlier (after taking butterfly and garden pics), literally with sweat running down my back. There was, however, a distant rumble of thunder.

As I drove closer to town, the wind was picking up and twigs and such were blowing across Water St. It was noticeably cooler.

I got to The Tannery (heading for the ATM) and the wind was really gusting. There was this nice man in the ATM room with me and he was giving me updates on the approach of clouds as I extracted money from the machine.

(Of course, if I had been Triple-D, I would have turned on the charm and finagled some kind of commitment to dinner or otherwise out of him. But I'm me, so I wished him a good night and left him to conduct his own transaction in peace.)

I wandered over to The Nutcracker, which to my dismay now closes at 7 p.m. It was 7:05 according to the clock in the Jetta when I left The Tannery to head back home.

Tooling up the PI Turnpike, I made the snap decision to stop at Bob Lobster for ice cream. The wind was howling over the marsh and there were people stopped along the road taking pictures of the clouds.

Five minutes later or so I was back in the car. I thought it prudent to wind up the passenger side window at this point. I saw a vivid bolt of lighting over in the general direction of the cottage.

Bob Lobster is, what, a mile from the cottage?

As I drove up Old Point Road, rain began to spatter the windshield. As I came around the curve, rain was obscuring my view through the windshield, and when I got home, the storm was in full force.

That was about half an hour of my life. Forty-five minutes, max. - it all started about two hours ago, and although I can see flashes of lighting off to the south, I don't believe it is raining here any longer.

I don't think it rained long enough to be of benefit to my garden.

Such is life out here on this little spit of sand.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

We wee at Bob Lobster tonight too. From about 7-7:15, ordering and waiting for take out. We must have just missed each other. When we walked in, it was sunny. When we walked out, it looked like the perfect storm was brewing.

The fish n' chips, of course, was superb.

Gillian Swart said...

Of course! I think Legal Sea Foods fish 'n chips is my favorite, but Bob Lobster (being ever so much closer than the closest LSF) is #1 with me! The fish is so fresh ... and so plentiful.

Yeah, we must have just missed each other. That's a theme this week - Brigid tells me she walked through the amphitheater with Maggie and the baby when Gov. Patrick was there. Although I noticed a woman with a baby in a stroller and a dog walk through, I failed to notice it was her!

(I didn't know then she'd had the baby already, or more alert bells would have gone off in my head.)

Anonymous said...

Rob ran out to the ATM at the Tannery late yesterday afternoon and when I read this, I just had to ask him if he was the Man in the ATM Room. He's the kind of guy who will not only strike up a conversation with you, but many times it will be weather-related. (Alas, it was not him.)

Gillian Swart said...

That would have been something, huh? After our other "coincidences" ...