Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gimme a dog with mustard and cup of chowder, please

I was reading this story from Sunday's Globe North, about Fenway Park and hot dogs. Everyone loves a good dog at the park, right?

Well, it seems the upscale trend has hit America's favorite pastime, with the park now offering - rotisserie chicken, turkey wraps and clam chowder?

Actually, I kinda, sorta knew that already. Jerry Remy last year joked frequently about people in the luxury boxes dropping their sushi when a fly ball came their way. But I guess you can get whatever you want brought into your luxury box, or your suite at Fenway.

And I can't help but think, "What the .....?"

Are regular hot dog loving folks being "yuppified" out of everywhere: here, there, EVERYWHERE, dammit. OK, you go to the ballpark, you expect to pay too much for a hotdog. The vendors have to make money, too, and where better than with a captive audience?

But going to the ballpark and eating clam chowder?! Somehow, that seems sacrilegious. Sort of like yakking on your cell phone during the game ...

There is hope, though, according to the story: hot dogs are still #1 at the park. YAY

Now I wish I could afford to go to a game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see this piece in last Tuesday's NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/opinion/15kriegel.html?ref=opinion

And, these letters in the Sunday edition?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/opinion/l20hotdog.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=hot%20dog&st=cse&oref=slogin

Gillian Swart said...

No, I had not, but thanks for pointing them out! I wonder if that's where the Globe got the idea ...

My nephew is working at one of the (inside) food vending booths at Fenway this summeer. I guess I could have interviewed him!

I did ask him if those hot dog vendors in the stands (and he) were prohibited from paying attention to the game. Of course, making the $ comes first - but no, they are not, he said.