Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh give me a home, where the insulation is foam

I was driving aimlessly around Salisbury earlier this week ... actually, I was going to the Herb Farmacy, but it did involve some aimless wandering in the Jetta, after I completed my plant purchase.

Somewhere on the way to the Herb Farmacy (on Elmwood St.), I saw the neatest little farmhouse for sale. I can't find it online, but it was nestled in a grove of trees and had what looked like a small barn or large garage behind it.

I may have spent the first 7 years of my life living on the ocean, but I spent the subsequent 10 years living on a farm. I feel the pull of a farm. And there was once someone in my life who talked of us buying a house like this one, with an outbuilding for his workshop.

That whole area is kind of odd - a mixture of new construction and old farmhouses. I prefer the old farmhouses.

Not to inflame Pedro (who must be on vacation with Bubba), but no matter how low the price, I could never afford the little while farmhouse.

Am I tiring of Plum Island? Not really - I think I'm tiring of the hassles of this cottage. For the past 2 days I've had to crawl under the house to hook up the hose to the only working faucet that isn't actually in the house.

Don't ask why I had to do this, but let it be said that I was cursing old boyfriends who screwed my previous watering device onto the faucet too tightly and then I was cursing men in general, multiple sclerosis (which took said person out of my life) and my lack of a big wrench (the metal tool) ... I don't enjoy crawling into tight little spaces where I know skunks and other beasties have in the recent past taken up residency and where fiberglass insulation is dangling from overhead.

And then a man appeared and fixed it all for me. Of course, then he just had to spray me with the hose ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillian,

Pedro's not very fond of me and my carpetbagger ways, so I doubt we'd be on vacation together.

I guess it's just been a while since you blamed Newbury or my deck for the destruction of mankind - either that or I've just been busy with other things.

Gillian Swart said...

I know, Newbury has been quiet for a while ... although I just saw some report on the DN website about the town selling some land. Must have missed that before.

But wait ... you have a DECK??

Anonymous said...

Actually, I have 2 decks....But I also have a solid foundation....so I'm going to environmental hell for sure...An eternity of being whipped by pepperweed no doubt.

Do you know what's going on at the former PJ's ? it's currently being renovated....

Unknown said...

"Pedro's not very fond of me and my carpetbagger ways, so I doubt we'd be on vacation together."
Yea, that must be it Bubba!(No es el hecho de que su demasiado barato para comprar el almuerzo?)
Not much to comment on lately, so everyone misses me, huh?

Gillian, you should buy a farmhouse with a 'deck' too!
Get away from those environmental fools on that barrier reef. Come plant corn, tomato's, cucumbers and the like and work with the dirt, not sand!

Anonymous said...

I can really identify with wanting a property with a barn or a similar outbuilding. But Rob & I are also so drawn to the ocean. And love being able to walk / bike into town. So, a compromise between the 3 would be ideal. (And, completely out of our price range.)

Gillian Swart said...

Hey Pedro,

What's this about lunch? He's too cheap to buy lunch?

Anonymous said...

Translation....I expect him to join the GIC.

Unknown said...

Bubba,
I did better, I do not have city insurance. aside from the cost savings ($550.00 a month) I now do not have my medical needs blabbed about and do not need to get permission from a clerk to have medical procedures done. Sooooo, I managed to save my self about $550.00 a month and save 80% of the yearly cost that the (myself included) property taxpayers (sorry Gillian, no malice intended) pay for a liquidated version of Blue Cross and Blue Shield coverage that is administered by untrained and just plain mean city personnel. Not all City Employees can gain access to Private Company benefits as I have, so I will still be voting 'no' on any such move as the GIC coverage will not provide secure coverage for all of the workers in this City. As long as there is a movement to supply the Schools with unwarranted and unchecked cash, I will always be willing to pay taxes to cover the City Employees with better than average health insurance. This is how we keep good employees and show a commitment to them and their families. Also, with the City administering and controlling such benefits, there will always be the political administration of benefits that will mean less service for more costs with personal vendettas applied liberally with some administration's oversight.

Do you have 'float-able decks'? Or the new compost kind that sinks where they are and you will find them in the same spot when the tide recedes? ;)

Unknown said...

Gillian, usted lee bien español! gailec también?


¿O tengo todo el mundo para su funcionamiento la Escuela Secundaria libros de texto?

Gillian Swart said...

Pedro, Yo no hablo español o leer español (pero mi sobrina hablo español). Is that correct?

Not Gaelic, either (that part I got on my own).

I want to learn Spanish soon, though. I am able to read French fairly well.

The part about the textbooks we're not so clear on, though (it's her first year).

Anonymous said...

Pedro,

Decks are properly flood elevated, I plan on turning my propery into a marina until the flood waters recede.