Monday, July 21, 2008

Au revoir, Stephen

I just read this post on Tom Salemi's blog, informing us that Stephen Tait is leaving the Daily News and returning to Michigan.

Must have been all those flattering portrayals of Michigan I'm always posting on here ... no, seriously, last time I talked with Stephen, he was telling me how much he misses Michigan (a sentiment I can't relate to, by the way).

He was just about to go back, on vacation, so this does not really surprise me.

Stephen Tait is one of the truly sweetest people you could ever be around. Based on the fact that we both sprang from Michigan, we struck up a bond of sorts right away - although I suspect he had that type of relationship with almost everyone he encountered.

We sort of danced around the issue of my always knocking the Daily News, and he was just so good natured about it. (One time he literally ran down the hall of City Hall to open the locked rear door so I could enter; "See, the Daily News isn't all bad!" he joked.)

I'll miss seeing him around, as I suspect many others will as well. He was here for quite a stretch (he replaced Stephanie Chelf on the city beat), and I wish him all the best in Michigan.

He comes from a 'good' part of the state, by the way, which is quite beautiful. He firmly rejected my notion that The Flint Journal could really use him ...

2 comments:

Macy Swain said...

So, where's he going, then? What's the "good part" of the state? Grand Marais? A-Squared?
You should know that Michigan DIDN'T make the top ten of "Fattest States in America" this year. Is this progress or what?
Yeah, you know it, The Flint Journal could use him, but they've just dumped a big bunch of writers and aren't likely to hire more. As a longtime Flint Journal subscriber, I've cancelled for the summer and I'm considering trying life without "The Urinal" indefinitely.

Gillian Swart said...

I've written to him and asked him where he's going. I believe he's from Clare. I meant 'good' in the sense of not Flint or Detroit - although I always loved Detroit and was never fearful the numerous times I was in the city.

I can't say the same of Flint, since my brother was accosted by would-be burglars in the very driveway of my parents' house, in the East Village (considered a "safe" part of the city, at least back then, for those not familiar with Flint).