Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One mocks where one can

After the shock of having Bubba agree 100% with me about something wore off, I thought I'd better post about Newbury again - just to keep things on an even keel.

But dammit, all I can find is something that on the face of it looks pretty sensible. But I still have complaints and plenty of opportunities to mock.

PLUM ISLAND — Police will begin issuing short-term parking permits to people who rent cottages on Plum Island for vacations, the July 10 story in the Daily News begins.

Nowhere does it say this is just in the Newbury section of the island, or even if it's only on Northern Blvd. (the main drag to the northern end of the island, on the ocean side), but oh well. In fact, I don't think the word "Newbury" appears anywhere in the story ...

Under the new policy, which (Newbury police Chief Michael) Reilly said will take effect in about two weeks, renters will have the option of buying a permit that will allow them to park legally in areas where they would normally be liable for a $20 ticket.

The permits will cost $15.

The only problem left, according to the person who earlier today told me about this, is figuring out what happens when renters say the landlords should pay for the parking permits, not them. The story says the permits, which should be left on the dashboard of the vehicle, will have an expiration date.

Of what? Who knows?

Although the policy will initally (sic) cover only people renting cottages or houses on Plum Island, Reilly said in the future he would like to extend temporary permits to people holding weddings or parties on the island. The host, he said, could apply for one-day permits for a specified number of guests' vehicles.

I think that about 1/3 of the homes on Plum Island are actually in Newburyport, if I recall correctly. I know that Newbury and Newburyport have an inter-community agreement in which each community's PD patrols out here, but can some Newbury cop now come and ticket someone parked on Old Point Rd. (the main drag on this side of the island - actually, the ONLY drag - and who is parked in Newburyport but who does not have a permit on display?

It's all sooo confusing to me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is pretty common in beach communities.

I have no idea what the parking rule is for Old Point Rd, but the beach side of Northern Blvd in NEWBURY is by permit only. There is no street parking in Newburyport PI. So presumably, renters of NEWBURY cottages can get a temporary NEWBURY parking permit.

Gillian Swart said...

Same out here - no street parking. Doesn't stop people from parking on the street, and there are no signs to that effect, but it's the same deal.

I'm not sure about the Newbury part, but everyone pretty much has a yard and driveway on this side.

Anonymous said...

I find that the DN is really terrible about identifying the town(s) relevant to a story. In fact, it is often difficult to figure out who are the people discussed and/or quoted.

Gillian Swart said...

Dick,

I suppose the print story was on a page designated to Newbury ...? I don't read the print version. No one over there seems to realize that the stories are on the INTERNET and so now anyone wanting to rent anywhere on the island can read that story online and think it applies to the whole island. Or maybe it does ... I don't know!