Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A-frame permits denied

I've been so much frittering away my time potentially exploding people's heads that I haven't been paying attention to the local news - sub shop renovations (Tom Salemi is on that) and A-frame signs.

Not to mention Yankee Homecoming, which Tom is also all over. I'm with Dick M. - I didn't even realize that it starts on Friday! And the annual Kitchen Tour is on Saturday (one of the featured kitchens is in the renovated Wheelwright House, and I know you're curious ...).

Well, the A-frame sign debacle, it seems, has been sort of resolved, to the (perhaps) detriment of businesses not on the main streets of our city.

The city is going to enforce the current ordinance, which is (as written in the Daily News): signs must be adjacent to the building, no farther than 4 feet from the front door and require a $50 permit from City Hall.

Enforcing the current regulation is always a good thing, and I commend the License & Permit Committee for recognizing that.

Does the city need to come up with a solution to the alleged problem of businesses and advertising? A publication I write for offered at least one of the businesses with an A-frame sign more than 4 ft. away from the front door the chance to buy an ad for a couple hundred bucks and was told "no thanks."

Advertising is a recognized form of ... well, advertising. As much as I hate to say it, some of those places in town where I love to eat also think advertising has no place in their budget. Even to the point of not having a website, as Ari Herzog pointed out back in Feb.

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the A-frame signs. But if they're not legal, them's the facts.

If your business can't survive without one (and I'm not entirely sure that's what Bil Silliker of Licorice & Sloe said or meant), then consider taking out an ad in one of the many (free) publications that are out there, which tourists pick up to find out where to go.

Or, you know, do something that gets you in the paper (in a positive way, that is).

2 comments:

Tom Salemi said...

Okay, if we're going to regulate A-frames here's what we do.

The city should designate a dozen or two spots along the streets of State and Pleasant.

And then each year, the city can hold an auction. Local businesses can bid on each site. Perhaps we limit each business to only two.

You're right. This is advertising.

If we're gonna do it. Then let's do it.

Gillian Swart said...

Having said all that, Tom, I still got the (relevant to me) info that Abe's now has espresso drinks off an A-frame sign! Of course, I would have found out on my own, sooner or later ...